Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Helmet Head

I've debating even writing this blog, because I didn't want to seem like I was crying over spilled milk, but I feel like I want to let this out. As a result of Carter's Torticollis (which is now healed and no more physical therapy), he has a severe flat spot on the right side of his head. It's like the entire back, right side of his head is flat and letting it correct itself is no longer an option. He is now going to have to wear a helmet to correct it. The therapist pretty much told me he'd have to wear it for a few months. She broke the news to me easily, because she wasn't sure how I'd react, but I was okay with it. I was just relieved that there was something we could actually do to fix his head rather than waiting to see if it fixed itself. So, I put things in perspective and told myself that if wearing a helmet for a few months was the worst thing he's have to go through, then we're pretty blessed. Afterall, there are children out there that are battling cancer and I'm just glad we aren't facing that.

He is scheduled for a CT Scan on his head on Monday morning. I have to take him to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital again. That place really wigs me out. It does a good job of putting things into perspective when you see kids with serious illnesses all around you, but it's hard to swallow the fact that I have to take my newborn up there. After he gets his scan done, he will have his first consultation with a plastic surgeon. The plastic surgeon will then take a mold of his head at some point to get him fitted for a helmet. I know this will all be over with before I know it, but it still bothers me a little bit. I'm worried the helmet will upset him and he once again will be a fussy baby. Or what if he has to sleep with it on? Will he sleep crappy again? Oh gosh.

Also, all of this doesn't come cheap. The therapist told me that it is extremely expensive and I'm just praying my insurance covers it. If you knew the battles I've had with them ever since Carter was born, you would understand my concern. But even if they do pay their part, we are still looking at another couple thousand dollars out-of-pocket probably. We've already paid so much towards medical bills that it makes me cringe to think we will be spending even more.

I know I shouldn't be complaining about this, but it all gets to be a little overwhelming sometimes. Let's not forget that I work 50 hours a week and already have so much on my plate as it is. My mom has been sooooooooooo helpful with Carter with watching him 5 -6 days a week while I work, so we don't have to pay for daycare right now, but I still feel really stressed out some days. It's like a weight on my chest that I just can't manage to get lifted off. I try to give it up to God, but I don't think I'm doing a very good job of that. Just please keep my little one in your prayers and we'll be hoping for a really quick recovery.

6 comments:

  1. I send thoughts and prayers to your lil man and to you. Your right it could be a lot worse, I saw a little boy that has to wear helmet and it was green with a ND logo on it which made it super cute. I feel ya on the medical bills and insurance crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!! It's funny you say they decorated that boys helmet with ND, because that's what we were thinking of doing. Like painting it gold to match ND's helmets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give us a buzz when you get it painted. We will have to get a pic. Gotta make lemonade out of the lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. I will do that J. Sounds like an amazing idea to me!!! May have to do his 6 month shoot with it on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yah it COULD be worse, which is what people keep telling me about my gall bladder, BUT it still stinks. Hard core stinks. ESPECIALLY once you finally get all caught up with medical bills, or bills in general, and then something medical comes up, unexpected. I'm so sorry for you little guy. My friend Jen over at http://creativeschmidt.blogspot.com/ well her little boy had to wear a helmet, so if you are looking for advice or just a friends who has "been there" she's your gal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks La! I will def. check her blog out. Exactly what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete