Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Way Back Home

It's been 2 1/2 years since I've been back to my hometown of South Bend, IN and the last time I was there it was for my best friend's wedding and I was in and out of there so fast, I barely knew what happened. Actually over the last 4 years, I've only been back 2 times and it's been for quick weddings. But this Friday I will once again be heading back to SB for a quick trip, even quicker than all the rest. My uncle passed away this past weekend and his memorial service is on Saturday. It's sad that it takes this kind of event to get me back up north, but it's true. I need to be there. Unfortunately life and death doesn't plan itself around our schedules and Carter's 1st bday is on Friday and his party was planned for Saturday. So we moved the party to Sunday and will have a dinner for him in South Bend on Friday night. Due to the schedule change in his party, I feel it's given a lot of people excuses not to come to his party, but we will have fun anyway!!

Anyway, back to our trip. I am mixed with sadness and joy all at the same time. I am sad, because we will be saying goodbye to a great man and joy because I will spend my son's 1st birthday with a very small intimate group of friends that don't normally get to see him. So we will put our warm boots and coats on (must get carter a winter coat) and travel almost 500 miles north for an overnight stay. This shall be our 2nd family trip together. Let's hope everyone leaves their cranky pants at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment