Monday, January 31, 2011

Goodbye Suck Suck

Well Carter is 14 months old and I have finally tested my will power and took away his "suck suck". We got back from dinner Friday night and he was about 45 mins past his bedtime, so as I was changing him into his PJs, he kept laying down. I thought to myself, I will embrace his super tiredness and see if he'll go to sleep without the paci. Well it worked, he went right to sleep without any crying.

So for the rest of the weekend (except when my mom was babysitting him on Saturday morning), he didn't get his paci. At times he put up a little fight, but at other times he would just go to sleep. During his afternoon nap yesterday, he really fought it and after about a good 45 mins of hearing him cry, I went to rock him back to sleep. That's when I smelled a poopy diaper and figured he may have been crying about that rather than not having his "suck suck". I changed his diaper and put him back down, but had no luck on getting him to sleep. So we just skipped the afternoon nap.

By the time bedtime rolled around, he went to sleep without any fussing. I felt somewhat successful. Now, I had to pass my responsibilities onto our daycare provider. She said she'd not give it to him and I was just praying he wouldn't give her too much of a fight. Well, I checked in after his morning nap and she said he went to sleep without any crying. Success!!! Now let's just hope the same goes for his afternoon nap.

People keep telling me "he's still young, you know", but I just figured I found an opportunity to start getting him off the paci and I jumped on it. I also figured, the longer he has it, the more attached he will get. Plus, with the new baby coming in August, I want the paci to be long in his past, so he may not have such a hard time seeing the new baby with one. Of course, it doesn't help that my husband put a paci in the cupholder of his carseat before we left for church yesterday. I looked back and saw him grab it and almost put it in his mouth. I asked Brett why he would do that when we're trying so hard to break him of the paci during sleeptime and he hasn't gotten it during "awake" hours in a long time. There's no explaination for some of the things men do.

Anyhow, I'm really hoping we are successful on this one, because I will feel like I accomplished something big. Plus I will be extremely proud of my little guy. Well, wish us luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment