Monday, February 9, 2009

Learning a new trade


Well from here on out I get to learn how to sell these things. In case you're a little confused, I'm talking about Class 8 heavy duty trucks aka semi trucks. Ever since I graduated in December and became full time at my parents' dealership, I've been trying to soak up every bit of information I can about these things so that I can turn around and sell them. Well, I am surprised on how much I've picked up so fast, but considering I've been around them my whole life, I don't know as much as I should. But let's face it, there is a lot to know!!! I've got to know the years, makes, models, engines, transmissions, suspensions, wheelbases, rear end ratios, weight capacities, horsepower, cab styles/sizes, sleeper styles/sizes, interior styles, and all the extra pieces on the trucks, such as air horns, bullet lights, visors, breathers, fender guards, texas square bumpers, breather lights, chicken lights and the list goes on. It's a little intimidating to say the least. Then I've got to wrap it all up into a package and try to sell it somebody. It's not easy and I have a lot more respect for my dad knowing that he's been so successful at a career that is so difficult. It's nothing like selling a car by any means. When someone is spending $60K, $70K, $80k + on a used vehicle, it takes a lot more convincing to get them sold. But I'm trying my hardest to have what it takes to make it in this industry. Let me tell you, college could never have prepared me for this.
So I've yet to sell my first truck, but when that day comes (hopefully fairly soon) I will be jumping for joy. I think I'll be so excited I might actually pee my pants. But one more piece of the puzzle needs to be completed to further me in this career even more. I need to get my CDL. I thought it wouldn't be any big deal to get it, I would just have to study the manual a little bit and go get my permit. Wrong!!! I have to know how to do a full truck inspection before I can get it. That translates to having to know every last screw, bolt, hanger, etc. on a truck!! It's so overwhelming it's kind of made me procrastinate on studying. I really have to do it though, there is not much choice. If I want to sell trucks, I've got to be able to legally drive them. Anyhow, that's just a glimpse into what I've been learning since graduating from college about 6 weeks ago. Wish me luck in my new endeavor!!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Truckie. My brother is a delivery driver and failed his CDL test like 5 times. I'm sure you'll do fine. He's beyond lazy when it comes to books & you seem like a smart cookie.

    ReplyDelete