Monday, October 12, 2009

1 year down, 74 more to go

Well, we made it!! Brett and I celebrated our 1st year of marriage on Sunday and I must say I can't believe how the time has flown by. We have been together for almost 6 years now and I have to say that the first year of marriage is the one year that flew by the fastest. We've had our fair share of bumps in the road along the way, but this past year has been amazing. We've never gotten along as well as we have since we got married. I have to say, we've accomplished a lot since last October and we've done a lot more growing up.



We had plans to hit up a pumpkin patch on Saturday, so we made our way to Walter Hill, TN (which is just a few minutes from our house) and found the smallest, most pathetic excuse for a pumpkin patch I've ever seen. They had awesome pumpkins though! But they didn't except debit cards and we didn't have cash, so they directed us to where we could find an ATM. We stopped at a little country store and when I say country, I mean COUNTRY! I thought we were in an episode of the Andy Griffith show. We stepped in and there were 2 old men sitting in the corner to the left of the door and there was another old man behind the cash register to the right of the door. We asked them if they had an ATM (I was embarrassed to even ask the question) and the guy says, "a what?!" An ATM, you know the machine that dispenses cash. He then told us to go down to Smokies and they've got one, but wasn't sure if it would have anything in it. So we ventured down to Smokies and sure enough they had an ATM, but there was no money in it. Go figure. Traveling to some of these little towns is like stepping back in to 1945. Not something I'm used to due to growing up in northern Indiana. So needless to say, we didn't get any pumpkins.

So Sunday, we went to church and then we were going ring shopping to buy me a replacement engagement band. My grandfather had sold us the stone for my engagement ring when we got engaged and we bought a band for it here in town. Well the band which was supposed to be white gold, turned yellow a month after we got it and the head didn't fit the stone, so they cut it down and in the process mangled it. Well we didn't have any luck finding a band or a jeweler that wanted to work on my ring, so we went baby shopping instead. We got a swing, pacifiers, bottle nipples, newborn chew toys, and some last minute items that we still needed. As Brett was unloading the stuff out of the cart onto the register, I had to laugh as he grabbed my nursing pads and just stared at them in confusion. He was a little embarrassed once he realized what he had been staring at for several moments. So now I can officially say, "we are set". I think. At this point in time I can not imagine anything else that we "need" for this baby. If he comes tonight, I am completely prepared for his arrival. I even have his diaper bag packed. So I will sit back and impatiently wait for his arrival in 6 weeks, give or take a day or two.

Anyway, we ended our night with a nice dinner at Red Lobster. My parents loaded us up with gift cards to Red Lobster, PF Changs, and Cold Stone, but we chose Red Lobster for dinner last night, because it was the closest to us. It was very nice. We also ate some of our cake top from the wedding earlier in the afternoon and I must say, it was better the first time around. I can't quite describe the flavor of a year old, frozen cake, but 'plastic' would probably be the best label for it. So here's to 1 year down and 74 more to go! Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats you guys! Here's to many more happy years. Can't wait to see that baby boy.

    Jason & Paula
    Master Creations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I can't believe it's been a year for you guys, may you have many more happy ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay. Congrats! I loved our cake. I thought ours was better 2nd time around...sorry yours tasted like plastic : ) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you made it through your first year! Its doesn't seem like it was a year ago, thats for sure! You guys have grown to be such an amazing couple. You guys fit each other perfectly, and really understand what its like to have a friend in each other. Congrats to you and Brett! Love the both of you very much!

    P.S.
    I think you will last more than 74 ;)

    ReplyDelete