Monday, December 21, 2009

Birth Trauma

Birth trauma has defined Carter's life ever since...well...birth. As you may already know, due to Carter's large size ( 9 lbs. 6 oz. ) his collar bone was broken as he was making his way into this world. As tramatizing as that was for me, he finally got better and I thought he could finally be a normal baby. Well I was wrong. I had noticed that he always slept with his head turned to the same side and when he was in his swing or car seat it was the same way. He was starting to develop a flat spot on the one side of his head, so I told the doctor about it at his 1 month check up today. He looked at him and determined he had Torticollis. This is a condition that is caused by the over tightening of his neck muscle and it pulls his head to one side. This was also a result of birth trauma. The doctor said it could be fixed by stretching his head to the opposite side everytime we change his diaper, but if that doesn't fix it then physical therapy may be necessary.

I'm usually not one to get too worked up about things like this, but it's really starting to wear on me. I just want my baby to be healthy and happy and I feel like he's been suffering his entire life so far. I just hope that the neck stretches will correct this problem, because I really don't want to have my newborn in physical therapy. He's already been through so much.

All I have to say about this situation is that if I know I'm going to have a large baby next time, I'm going to have a C-section. I'd rather have my belly cut open then have my baby injured. But we have to deal with what we were dealt right now and all I can do is pray for a speedy recovery. I just gotta have faith that God will take care of this child and he'll be okay eventually.

6 comments:

  1. One of my sons had torticollis too. We tried the neck stretches but also took him to a chiropractor. I had heard great things about it and our dr felt that it couldn't hurt to at least try it (I wanted to avoid physical therapy as well). It took one visit and his neck was "normal," no therapy needed. Obviously check with your dr first and find a chiro that you are comfy and feel safe with, but it's something to look into.

    Good Luck! Carter is a beautiful baby and is lucky to have such a wonderful Mommy! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm a friend of Mo's - first, congratulations on your sweet baby, he's a cutie!

    Second, just wanted you to know that I'm sort of dealing with the same thing. My baby, Avalon is four months old. She has a little bit of a flat spot on the side of her head too, although not torticollis. She definitely prefers turning her head to one side, and has always done that when she's sleeping, whether in her crib or carseat. As a result , I try and do things to get her to move her head to the opposite side, just like you were saying - I found it was really helpful to turn her the other way on the changing table so that she has to turn her head the other way when she looks at me. Also, when she's playing on the floor, I'm always conscious to have the toy or me or whatever she's interested in to be on her 'bad' side so she'll turn her head. I also put her on her tummy when she naps during the day so, but that is a total personal preference, of course!

    Anyway, just wanted you to know that I'm kind of in the same boat! All of these things are helping already though, so I'm sure Carter will be just fine! Congrats again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. I think I will start putting Carter on his belly more often throughout the day, because he lifts his head up a lot and that seems like it will work out the muscle. I'm sure all of this is just preparing him to be a real tough guy when he gets older. Now if we could just get rid of that flat spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colt never had a flat spot just a bald spot where he lost some hair...but my mom swore it was a flat spot [even thought his head was still round?!] anyhow, to this day she still calls his 'skillet head' as a nickname. Sometimes and often times shortened to just 'Skill'.

    'Bring skill to visit me tomorrow, I miss him'

    I'm going to start calling her 'spazzy old woman'
    haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there girl. Im positive everything will work out ok in the end. Kaley has some good ideas! Hes a strong boy and will pull through. I would love to give you more information, but I think I am the only girl posting a comment that doesnt have a baby ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gooner has a bald spot. It is not so awesome. I'm sorry about your little guy! I pray the neck stretches work wonders!!!

    ReplyDelete