Monday, November 9, 2009

Walking Zombie

A zombie...that's what I've become in the last week or so. I think I'm getting a total of 30 mins of sleep at night and it's beginning to wear on me a bit. This wouldn't be so bad, but I'm still working full time and will be doing so until I go to the hospital and have this child. I don't mind working, because it's better than sitting at home all day with nothing to do, but some sympathy about my situation would be nice! My "boss" doesn't seem to understand the whole maternity leave thing. I can't count all the times over the last month or so that I've been asked to come back before Carter is 6 weeks old. I'm already working up to my due date, what more do you want?! Also my remarks about most women quiting a couple weeks before their due date or taking off more than 6 weeks once their baby is born are bashed as if I'm making it up! So the latest suggestion was that I take 2 of my 6 weeks off before the baby is born. If you do the math, that means going back to work when Carter is 4 weeks old. So needless to say, I am running on no sleep and I totally lost it after that remark. I don't think I'm asking for anything extraordinary by expecting some flexibility in my schedule these last couple of weeks and wanting to stay home for 6 weeks after the baby is born. But I want to know what other moms have done. Because all the ones that I have talked to have left work a couple weeks early or have taken a little longer than 6 weeks off after their child was born. So moms out there, what did you do?

On another, less annoyed note, I had my 38 week check up today. I'm still not dilating or thinning, but my belly is measuring a couple of weeks ahead. So the doctor scheduled me for an ultrasound tomorrow to see how big this baby is getting. I'm hoping he's big enough that they suggest inducing me early. I just don't see the point in doing it if that wasn't their intention. But I won't be seeing the Dr. to discuss it until next Tuesday anyway.

Anyway, I'm going to try and scrape up my remaining sanity off the floor and do something productive now. I'll keep ya'll updated on what I find out from the ultrasound. Later!

4 comments:

  1. hey i obviously haven't taken maternity leave yet, but know that i will be taking 12 weeks, 6 weeks paid is what my work offers but because of the FMLA act all women are allowed to take up to 12 weeks. also I have had a great pregnancy but my belly is starting to tighten and feel very heave making it uncomfortable to well sit or stand let alone deal with nagging customer haha so i have thought about leaving a little early, but if i do so it will be under the temp disability act which my midwife would have to write a note of some sort stating that it would be best for me to not work, ( that way I dont use any of my time off before she is here) and you get paid for temp disability.... just some ideas..

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry for all my miss spelled words! i type too fast and def don't think slow enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked my last day on a Tuesday and was due that Friday...but went a week over. AND, I never really told my boss when I was coming back...haha. They came to visit colt and they were like...'ya ever coming back??' jokingly. AND I NEVER DID! haha! Sorry I'm not help. BUT if I had strick bosses I definitly would have filled out the FMLA form and done the 12 weeker. Your baby is only a new born once :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took 9 weeks (6 weeks paid) and some PTO. A lot of dare care centers don't allow you to bring a baby under a certain age. So it may not even be POSSIBLE for you to go back before 6 weeks (6 weeks is usually the minimum allowed, sometimes it is even 8) Not sure if you are going that route but it is something to think about and an argument to give your boss.

    I actually had it made because I told my work I wasn't coming in after Friday (2 days after my due date)I had bronchitis and wanted to get better as soon as possible so I wouldn't be sick when I went into labor and had her that next Monday. I gave work advanced notice but I wasn't home from work without a kid either.

    I thought it was kind of a waste of time to take time off before the baby. You are home, miserable and have nothing to do but sit and mope. At least if you are working you can pretend to do stuff and keep your mind off wondering when you are having the baby!

    ReplyDelete