Friday, February 5, 2010

A Sad Good-Bye

Tomorrow our newest family member, Chubs, will go to the animal shelter. For the first few days, he was the absolute gentlest, sweetest dog you've ever met (he wouldn't even barely take food out of your hand), but he has begun to show signs of aggression and he must go. The first sign was a couple of days ago when he peed on a box in our bonus room and I grabbed him up by his collar and put his nose in it and he started growling at me. My heart began to pound at that point, but I didn't show him any fear and had Brett take him outside immediately. At that point I decided he was not going to be a permanent member of our family. I hadn't gone as far as deciding to take him to the shelter, but I had decided I would find a family to adopt him. Most likely, one that didn't have little kids.

I had him an appointment set up for today to get his shots and I was going to hang a flyer up in the Vet's office with info about him, in hopes someone would adopt him. Then last night happened. I was in the kitchen and I had just given Chubs some food (I had to mix treats in it to get him to eat dog food), when Patsy came near him and he snapped. He growled and opened up his mouth and beared down on her neck. She immediately begun yelping and I screamed "Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!" and jumped at him. He let go right away and hit the floor on his back. I was just sure Patsy was going to have blood gushing from her neck, but my first priority was to get that dog out of the house. Thank goodness, Carter was spending the night at Nana's so he was not in any danger.

I had to scoot Chubs all the way out the door, because he wouldn't get up and was just laying on his back in a submissive position. Brett had heard Patsy yelp and me scream and he came rushing in the house. He was outside cleaning his truck and when he heard us, he ran as fast as he could and slammed the truck door into his knee cap in the process. Ouch!!!!! Once he realized we were okay, he fell on the floor in pain. He did come over finally and help me get Chubs out the door. Once he was outside, I went over to Patsy and checked for injuries. I could see a little bit of blood in her fur, but couldn't find the bite mark. So she was okay, just a little scared. I felt terrible. How could I let this happen? How could I let this strange dog into my house, not truly knowing his upbringing? I knew what I had to do now and that was to take him to the shelter.

I called first thing this morning to see if I could bring Chubs in and to find out if they were a "no kill" shelter. They are not. They said if the dog shows any signs of aggression, they have to put them down or if they run out of room. The lady told me they euthanize on a daily basis. This really upset me. Here I rescued this dog so he wouldn't be sent to the pound and be put down, and now that's exactly what I'm doing to him. I couldn't make myself take him today, but I have decided I have to do it tomorrow. As much as I am already attached to him, there is nothing more important to me than my baby and I will not put that child in danger, even if that means the possibility of Chubs being put to sleep.

So Chubs, I'm sorry I couldn't save you for good, but I hope that a family without little dogs and little kids adopts you soon. I'll pray for you my friend.

1 comment:

  1. I rescued a dog, one that was smaller and the sweetest little thing ever. We had a good couple weeks and then she starting peeing on beds. Like my bed, my roomies bed. Um what? I was in law school and did NOT have time for this. Then, while running with her a little kid grabbed her face. In truth the kid was being aggressive and I told the Dad to please get his kid away from my dog but he didn't listen and my dog snapped at the kid and bit it's face. Um wow. I did not have the money or the time to train with the peeing issue OR the biting. It was a sad to when I had to surrender, but it had to be done. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete