Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Full On Insanity

I must be crazy, because I adopted another dog!!! This time the dog is much larger and older than my others. My dad called me last week asking me if I wanted a big dog and I told him no, but asked about it anyway. He explained to me that there was a dog up by where he buys his wheels for his cars that had been roaming around and the business owners up there were telling him they were going to call the pound, because the owner neglected him. He thought it was a boxer/lab mix and he said it was a really sweet dog. So after rejecting the idea for a good 4 -5 hours, I gave in and said I would foster it so it didn't have to go to the pound and risk being put to sleep.

So the next day we went up there to pick him up. When we got there we began trying to load him up and he wasn't cooperating. Several guys from the surrounding businesses said they all really liked him and they were the ones that fed him everyday and even kept up with his heartworm medicine. One of the guys said he tried to take him home a couple weeks prior, but he couldn't get him in the car. They explained that he had been around there for about 5 years and his owner never cared for him. He never let him inside, never did anything to care for him, and didn't even feed him. So the guys up there all fed him people food.

We finally got him loaded up and headed to the house. We took him to my house and let him in the back yard. He was a little freaked out, but after about 30 mins and a warm piece of pizza, he eventually came around. Of course, he would smash up against whoever was closest and didn't want to leave their side. That night we left him in his kennel in the garage to sleep and let him process the big move.

A couple of the guys that had been watching after him had mentioned that they thought he had a little pitbull in him and that instantly got me wondering. So after doing some research and looking at pictures online, I've pretty much determined he's a pit bull/lab mix instead of boxer/lab. For so long I have said how I thought pit bulls should be exterminated and now here I had one in my house. He is such a sweet dog and shows absolutely no signs of agression, but I just wasn't sure about him with having a baby in the house.

But regardless, I cleaned him up (loading all 80 lbs or so of him into the bathtub by myself), de-wormed him and got him a bed, toys and some real dog food. My heart was already growing attached to him, but my head was saying "he's a freaking pit bull!!!!!!!!!!!". Then my heart would jump back in and say "but he's also a lab and he's so sweet". So I gave him a trial run to determine whether or not he would become a permanent part of our family. After doing much research on pit/lab mixes and talking to lots of people that have owned pit mixes and observing how he plays with my dogs and my dad's dogs....I have decided to keep him. I think he will make a super great guard dog and he needs us as much as we need him. He already acts protective of us and I like the idea of having a gentle giant in our house in case anyone gets stupid enough to break in.

So allow me to introduce you to the newest member of our family:


Chubs

No comments:

Post a Comment