Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thump Thump, Thump Thump

That's what my baby's heart sounded like this morning!! Thump thump, thump thump. Except it was really fast. Brett and I went to the Doctor's this morning for my first meeting with my actual doctor. I was sure I would like her, because I really liked her nurse and I was right. She was great! So friendly and made me feel so much better about certain things like, if I drink a cup of coffee my baby is not going to weigh 5 lbs at birth. She said if I drank three pots of coffee it may be a little different. lol. She also said I could drink Green Tea as long as I was getting plenty of water, milk, and juice.

I also gained 1 1/2 lbs since my last visit 3 weeks ago, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was sure I'd be 5 lbs heavier by the way my body was looking and feeling. So that made me feel a bit better. Then I got to do a pee test, blood test, female test, and last but not least we got to hear the heart beat. It took a little while for her to find the heart beat, which of course made me really nervous because in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Is my baby alive in there? Maybe I'm not really pregnant?" You know those irrational fears that I'm sure every mom has. And then we heard it loud and clear!!! I immediately started crying and so did Brett, although he was trying desperately not to let the doctor see him weep. I expected to get emotional about it, but I can not explain the joy that came over me when I heard it for the first time. It's like up til now, the only proof I've had that I was pregnant was a pee stick and some changes in my body, but now I have real proof that I'm going to be a mommy. It's such a cool feeling. I could have laid there all day and listened to it. All the worries that I had washed away.

Another super pleasant surprise that we got today was a total of our out of pocket expenses from now until my 6 week checkup after the baby is born. Brett and I had feared it would be somewhere around $4,5oo because we chose to have a higher deductible expense with our insurance and a lower premium. Well the lady that is in charge of the billing told us that our total out of pocket expense would only be $1,500 and that once we paid that, our insurance would pay 100% after that. We were so happy about that!! I even asked the lady again if that was our total cost through delivery and everything and she said it was. I could have jumped over the desk and gave her a big fat kiss. I guess maternity costs are different than regular medical costs and that's why our deductible is different. Apparently our insurance company believes in giving new parents a break. Woo hoo!!

So at this point all of the fears I had a week or so ago have subsided. I am just completely excited at this point. The doctor did tell me that I was only 9 weeks and 2 days along and that my due date is Nov. 24 instead of the 19th like the nurse had told me. This made complete sense to me, because I just couldn't figure out how the nurse had figured my due date before. The doctor did the exact same math that I had done and I feel confident that it shouldn't change anymore. So I'll be having a Thanksgiving baby or pretty close to it! How fun. I love Thanksgiving and what better thing to be thankful for than a brand new baby. November just can't get here soon enough.

Anyway, I'll be sure to post pictures of my fat belly as it grows and once I have my first ultrasound (which should be around 20 weeks the Dr. said), I'll post the images if I can. Later!!

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I'm so excited for you Mandy! It is so neat to hear the heartbeat. And each time you go you'll get to hear it again and again! You never get sick of hearing it. :) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear everything is going well! I wanted to cry when I did my first unltrasound (I've had two so far, one at the place I went to to confirm I was prego and the other to find out the due date) but I held back since I was there alone....I broke up with my fiance in February (Before I found out about baby), so sometimes I get sad going to appointments and stuff since he's 2 hours away.

    I highly suggest you get a copy of "What to Expect When You're Expecting"...it is amazing! My OBGYN gave me a copy on my first visit and I read it almost every night. And if you want some laughs, "Belly Laughs" by Jenny McCarthy is funny and insightful as well.

    Hope things continue to get better for you guys, sounds like everything is going very well. Email me if you ever wanna talk or anything. shychyna@hotmail.com

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, my Doc told me about that same book "What to Expect". I'll have to grab that. So far I've read Tori Spelling's "Mommywood". I know, I know it's silly, but very entertaining. Sorry to hear about your fiance, I had no idea. I hope things work out for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things are better with us just being friends and parents, at least I'm not having a baby with another of my other exes. haha. I didn't know Tori Spelling had a book like that, I may read it, Jenny McCarthy's was funny and very truthful...even about the pooping issue. lol I went to yard sales with my mom today and they had TONS of baby stuff, some even brand new, so I think you'll be able to get a lot without paying a ton. We found some clothes, a baby gate that was never used and some other stuff. I was excited. lol Do you guys want to find out the sex or wait? I should be able to find out in about 3 weeks...as long as baby cooperates. :)

    ReplyDelete