Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Tornado's Wrath


During my 23 years on this earth I've never actually seen for myself the destruction that a tornado can leave behind; that is until yesterday. While I was at work yesterday some severe storms came blowing through middle Tennessee spawning tornados in the area. I wasn't too worried, because I've become used to the severity of TN storms in the last 4 years that I've lived here. None of the storms have closely affected me in the past, so I didn't think much of it. Until one of my co-workers' wife started calling and explaining how bad the storms were in Murfreesboro. They live 5 mins away from my house, so naturally I started to become worried. Brett was out in his work truck while the storms were going and he was racing home to see if our house was okay. He wasn't able to get off the highway at our exit because the police had the road blocked off because the damage was so bad. So he had to turn around and go home another way. When he was pulling in our neighborhood he was noticing all kinds of debris in the yards, such as shingles, insullation, siding, etc. When he got to our house, it was completely undamaged and we couldn't have been happier. Later when we talked to our neighbor, who was home during the storms, said he had video of the tornado heading right at our house and at the very last second it picked up and turned and landed on a road right behind our neighborhood, destroying about 50 homes on that street. I just can't believe that God spared our house when so many were destroyed all the way around us. It was a miracle if you ask me.
So by the time I got off work I was able to go the normal way home and this is what I saw:








Two people died in this storm; a 25 yr old woman and her 9 week old baby. And about 50 people were sent to the hosptial. I'm just thankful to have not been there when it happened and to have our house in one piece. So thankful.







2 comments: