Friday, June 12, 2009

3 Strikes You're Out

Okay, so I'm pretty sure today couldn't get any worse (unless a boulder decides to fall out of the sky and land on me). Okay okay, it definitely could get worse, but I'm just having a really terrible day. I wrote up a deal on our very oldest truck on Monday and the guy and his wife were coming to look at it and finish paying for it today. Well this particular truck, I've had 2 previous deals fall through on it due to financing issues so I was already nervous. It seems as though this truck just doesn't want to leave us. It's an extremely nice truck, the only thing is that we had the entire thing painted because it had some scratches on the top of the sleeper that we couldn't get buffed out. As you may know, when you paint a vehicle it automatically throws up red flags that it may have been wrecked. Well this truck definitely hadn't been wrecked, but trying to convince others of that is not always easy. Since about 90% of our customers find us on the internet and usually don't see the truck in person until after they've given us a deposit and gotten their money lined up to pay for it, I had been telling everyone that it was painted and explaining why. That way once they got here, there would be no surprises and no raised eyebrows. Well we decided to stop telling people upfront and just see if they would notice. Not that we were trying to hide anything, because there is nothing to hide, but we didn't want to scare people off until they had a chance to see the truck up close. Big mistake. This guy drove all the way from Seymour, IN (not that it's that far, but still) and the first thing they noticed was that the truck had been painted. Dang it! I was backed into a corner now and no matter what I told them, I looked like a liar because I hadn't told them up front. So long story short, after hours of Tom and I going over the entire truck with them, they didn't buy it because they thought it had been wrecked.

Add insult to injury, I had another guy lined up that wanted to buy it and have it delivered to Souix Falls, SD without coming to look at it first. I called him back and told him the deal didn't go through and that I was ready to sell it to him, but he had just bought another truck and was no longer in need of ours. He was disappointed too, because he said he liked ours better. And I even told him it had been painted!!! At this point, with 3 deals that have fallen through on this one truck, I'm pretty sure it has a voodoo curse on it. Yeah and I'm pretty sure that curse's name is Sable Black Metallic paint!!!! I tell you, I think we would have been better off with a truck that had scratches on it.

2 comments: